28.11.10

SWAIN: You should listen to it


Back to Nan-town we go, and it's another great effort from Christopher Arruda.  SWAIN, is his latest works, a 7 song E.P. serving as a footnote of sorts to his debut full length.

I was lucky enough to chat with Arruda a while back, just before releasing this album.  He had mentioned how proud of it he was, and he had a lot of positive things to say about it.  Now I can see why.

The album starts with a tune called CJ Somers, and I really feel like this was the perfect song to start the album with.  Arruda and his vocals shine on this track.  It really feels bare to me, as though he is laying it all out in front of you right off the hop.  This is me, take it or leave it, and I love it.

As Arruda mentioned last time we spoke, there are no drums on the album, and it does move along at a slower pace.  I don't think this takes away from it in any way though.  It actually showcases the Nanaimo artist and his talents even more-so.  With smooth vocals ever present and some beautiful guitar and keys, this album is a thought provoking gem.

My favourite track is "We'd be good men".  Something about the guitar right off the hop really sucks me in, and there is something about this song that just strikes me as being so raw.

To be perfectly honest, the first time I played this album through, my reaction wasn't much more than "meh".  Maybe I was in a bad mood or something that day, because every time I play this album out now, I enjoy it more and more.  And if you have ever had the privilege of seeing Arruda live, you know the passion he brings with his music.  That passion is very evident on this record.

Arruda has had one hell of a year, and he doesn't seem to be slowing down.  With a second full length in the works as well as a move to a Canadian Metropolitan area, it looks like we are only going to see more from this talented singer/songwriter in the future (check out his new website to see what I'm talking about).

During this time of year, when the days are short and the skies are grey, this is the kind of album you need to get your thoughts going.  Lie back, close your eyes and push play.  SWAIN takes care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment